Wednesday, August 21, 2013

e.l.f. Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer VS. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer



Primer is a base with a gel like consistency that is used prior to foundation. It works as a barrier between the foundation and the skin, and works both to moisturize the skin as well as prevent it from absorbing the pigment from the foundation. Prior to using a primer, I've always used a good moisturizer before applying the liquid/powder foundation. However I've always found myself wondering why my makeup never lasted as long as I wanted. A good primer is what solved that problem. 
Throughout the years I've tried many primers, ranging from Chanel, NARS, Bare Minerals to e.l.f and out of all of them none really jumped out as my favorite. When I brought this issue up with others I found that almost everyone I've spoken to have pointed me in the direction of Smashbox's photo finish primer. The 1oz bottle retails for $36.00 and from my first impression it was a little too viscous and not as easy to apply.  I was forced to use more of it and I always ended up finishing the product quicker than I hoped to.  
I went on sephora.com to check out what it had to say about Smashbox and this is what it had:

What it is:
Smashbox makeup artists use this product to create a perfect canvas for foundation application. 

What it is formulated to do:
The silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants smoothes and perfects skin, while the unique formula helps to inhibit the destruction of collagen, and fills in fine lines and pores for a flawless finish.

What else you need to know:
Use after moisturizer and before foundation for complexion perfection. This skin-soothing blend of antioxidants, which can be worn alone or under foundation, works overtime to fill in fine lines and even out skin texture.


A few days ago I was on the e.l.f cosmetics website checking out their new promotions when I came across their primer and decided to order one for myself.  It retails for $6.00 and is packaged in a white bottle with an easy to use pump. From my first impression, I found it much easier to apply and the foundation actually lasted longer on my face compared to Smashbox version! I loved that it was not as "greasy" feeling as the Smashbox primer and also that it created a silky smooth feel to my face prior to applying my foundation. I also think that the e.l.f primer works with both liquid and powder foundations while the Smashbox primer worked best with powder foundations. 
Heres what e.l.f has to say about their primer: 

Transform your face into a flawless and smooth canvas with the Mineral Infused Face Primer. Developed to combat against excess oil, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines. This clear multipurpose skin primer will prepare your skin so makeup goes on evenly for a long lasting satin finish.



Features a new and improved air pump! For best results, you may need to pump the component several times before product dispenses.




Recommended uses:

Tone Adjusting Green is ideal for minimizing redness and correcting blotchy skin.

Brightening Lavender is ideal for uneven skin tones and to brighten dull or yellow tones.
Radiant Glow is ideal for creating a luminizing effect on dark spots and uneven skin tones.



All in all, I think for the price e.l.f's primer is a much better buy and product compared to smashbox's primer. I loved the consistancy and feel of it on my skin, especially considering I have combination skin, and for the price, it's definitely worth giving a try! 


Thanks to Ms. Resh <3 for editing

No comments:

Post a Comment